Friday, February 15, 2008

My First "Disclosure of Information on Radon Hazards"

So I got my first radon disclosure this week pursuant to the Illinois Radon Awareness Act. Not a lot to it...Seller must give Buyer some informational pamphlet and disclose any "knowledge" and records she has of elevated radon concentrations.

What's "elevated"??

Well, just don't test and don't acquire "knowledge" and you're fine. Of course there is the cancer thing. This deal we got the disclosure on had some real high radon levels...out in the far western suburbs on the Fox. I've never asked for "radon mitigation" on the Buyer's side before.
Maybe I should be be re-thinking my grand plan to buy a little home on the Fox...I mean the communities are quaint and I love the bike trail.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Calvin Murphy said...

If you check the Illinois Emergency Management Agency web site, you will find that approximately 50% of the houses in the Western suburbs of Chicago have elevated radon levels. A radon mitigation system results in an overall improvement of indoor air quality in a house. There is no reason to let the elevated radon levels force you into rethinking your plan to buy a house on the Fox River.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Calvin Murphy said...

The link to the IEMA website is radon.illinois.gov

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Thanks for the comments Calvin. Any idea on the cause of the high radon out west??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google